Monday, October 30, 2006

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind

Last night I came over to my friend’s place. I brought some movies with me there. So after chatting and having some delicious home-made cakes and tea, we decided to watch the movie “Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind” together. I bought this DVD at Saigon Square last year but I had never had a chance to see it. The movie was kind of hard for me to follow. After we finished watching it, I still kept thinking to figure out what the movie wanted to say.

The movie was about the relationship between Joel (Jim Carrey) and Clementine (Kate Winslet). When Joel discovered that his girlfriend Clementine had undergone an experimental procedure to remove all memories of Joel, he was upset and frustrated. Then he decided to undergo the procedure as well, to erase his memories of Clementine… The question was thrown out there. If there were such a procedure to erase part of your memories, would you do that?

As for me, actually there is more than one time when I wanted to erase my memories of someone. Those memories are not necessarily bad, most of them are wonderful. But they made me feel sad and sometimes even hurt me. However, on a second thought, I don’t want to erase them at all. NO, I don’t want to! Those memories are a part of me. They somewhat shaped the way I behave. They made who I am today. So why do I have to remove them? Once they are erased, I know for sure, I will not be myself any more. So what’s the point of doing so? Why I have to lose myself because of someone?

Also, I found that when you want to forget someone, it’s not only your brain that needs to be erased. Just like the two characters in the movie, after all of their memories of each other were completely removed, they accidentally met on a train and they still had a feeling that they had met each other before. The morale is - when you love someone, you do not have only memories with them stored in your brain, but also love and feelings for them resided in your heart. Maybe someday scientists can invent such a procedure to erase some parts of your memories that you don’t want to keep in your brain. But in your heart, how can you remove the love and feelings you have for them?Image/

No comments:

Post a Comment